Available for full- and part-time students, government student loans are offered on both a federal and provincial level. Basically, the government pays the interest on the loan while you are in school. Six months after you complete your studies, you will begin to repay your student loan.
In Canada, the federal and provincial governments jointly administer student financial assistance through the Canada Student Loans Program. There are several types of assistance available including the following:
- Federal Student Loans (called Canada Student Loans)
- Provincial Student Loans (for Full-time students, varying by province)
- Canada Study Grants (for Students with disabilities, students with dependents, high need part-time students, and women in certain doctorial studies)
- Millennium Bursaries (for full-time students demonstrating high need or merit)
- Provincial grants and bursaries (which vary from province to province) Please check your provincial Web site listed above.