Whether you’re heading to the U.S. to live, work, vacation or study, our cross-border solution offers you an easy way to bank while you’re in the U.S.
With a cross-border checking account and credit card from RBC BankTM, you can easily make U.S. purchases, pay your U.S. bills, and get cash while you are in the U.S.
Our cross-border banking bundle includes:
U.S. Direct Checking Account
- Instant and Free1 Online Money Transfers between your RBC Bank (US) and RBC Royal Bank® accounts
- Get U.S. cash at thousands of no-fee ATMS2 while you’re in the U.S.
- Pay your U.S. bills online or write U.S. cheques
- Low monthly fee of USD $3.95 with eStatements
Converting $25,000 or more from Canadian to U.S. currency? Consider an RBC Bank Premium Checking account and receive one of RBC’s best exchange rates.
RBC Bank Visa Signature Black U.S. Credit Card
- Avoid foreign transaction fees on U.S. purchases
- Earn valuable RBC Rewards® points on your everyday purchases
- Great insurance benefits including travel accident, trip cancellation, lost luggage reimbursement and more5
- No-annual fee6
Note: To sign up for a Visa Signature Black / Black Plus credit card, you must open or already have an RBC Bank (U.S.) checking account.
How can I save with a Cross-Border bundle?
A wire transfer between Canada and the U.S. can cost $30 plus per transaction11. With an RBC Bank cross-border bundle, you'll enjoy instant transfers1 between your RBC Bank (U.S.) and RBC Royal Bank (Canadian) accounts, eliminating your need for Canadian/U.S. wire transfers.
Here’s an example of how much a Canadian could save when spending in the U.S.:
|Transaction||Using a Canadian based chequing account and credit card||Using a U.S. based chequing account and credit card|
|Annual fee of a Direct Checking Account with e-Statements ($5.29 CAD/month)12||––||$63.52|
|2 typical wire transfers ($30/ each)||$60.00||$0|
|2.5% foreign transaction fee
(based on $5,000 CAD annual spend on a credit card)
|Total Annual Transaction Fees||$185.00||$63.52|
You could save $120.00 or more.
Illustrative example rates provided are for information purposes only.
Staying in the U.S. for an extended period?
We’re the only U.S. bank dedicated to helping Canadians purchase and refinance9 property in all 50 U.S. States.
- Use your Canadian credit history and your RBC Royal Bank relationship to help get a mortgage
- We “speak Canadian”. We’ll walk you through each step, highlighting the differences between Canada and the U.S.
- No pre-payment penalties - pay off your mortgage at any time
- Use the surplus money you may earn from refinancing for virtually anything – home improvements, a dream vacation, pay off debt in Canada or invest in other options.
- Best of all, we don't charge a foreign national premium, saving you up to 3% on your U.S. mortgage
Whether you’re saving for a downpayment on a U.S. home or setting aside U.S. dollars for an extended trip, RBC Bank can help with a Preferred Money Market Savings10 account. With this U.S. dollar high-interest savings account you will:
- Get one of our best interest rates
- Have no monthly fee when you keep a $1000 minimum balance
- Have peace of mind knowing your money is FDIC insured up to $250,0004
- Instantly1 transfer money between Canada and U.S.
RBC Bank, Equal Housing Lender Member FDIC.