Have a question about sending money internationally through Online Banking using International Money Transfer? Check here for the answer. Don't see your question? Call 1-800-769-2555 to get help in more than 150 languages.
- Who can send an International Money Transfer?
- Where can I send money?
- How much money can I send overseas at a time?
- How often can I use this service?
- When will the money be available to my recipient?
- Will my recipient have to pay any fees?
- What do I need to send money overseas?
- How do I use this service?
- What does my recipient need to do in order to receive the funds?
- Do I have to send money during banking hours in my recipient’s country?
- Will the money I send using International Money Transfer arrive safely?
- Are transactions covered under the RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee?
- In what currency will my recipient receive the funds?
- Does the fee change based on the amount of money I send?
- Is the fee competitive compared to other services?
- I send money to one recipient regularly. Will I have to re-enter the same information every time?
- Where can I get help with this service?
1. Who can send an International Money Transfer?
Most personal clients enrolled in RBC Online Banking can send International Money Transfers(5).
2. Where can I send money?
You can send money to more than 120 countries worldwide. This service isn't available to recipients in Canada and restricted countries.
3. How much money can I send overseas at a time?
If you add your email and/or mobile phone number to your RBC® Online Banking profile, you may be able to send up to $10,000 CAD per day.
4. How often can I use this service?
You can use the service as much as you like, provided you don't exceed the daily limit and there are enough funds in the account.
5. When will the money be available to my recipient?
Typically the recipient can access the funds within 2-5 business days.
6. Will my recipient have to pay any fees?
While RBC doesn't charge the recipient any fees for receiving money, any intermediary financial institution or the recipient’s financial institution may levy additional fees or service charges.
7. What do I need to send money overseas?
You will need:
- An RBC banking account(1)
- Be enrolled in RBC Online Banking(3)
- Sufficient funds in your account to send
- The recipient’s bank account number /IBAN/CLABE (for Mexico) or the Business Identifier Code (SWIFT BIC/ABA) for the bank/branch where the funds are to be sent to or picked up.
- The reason for the transfer
8. How do I use this service?
- Sign in to RBC Online Banking.
- On the right side of the Accounts Summary page under Quick Payments & Transfers, select International Money Transfer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
9. What does my recipient need to do in order to receive the funds?
There are two ways your recipient can receive the funds:
- Credit Account: If you know your recipient’s bank name/SWIFT BIC/ABA and account number/IBAN/CLABE, we'll simply transfer the funds directly into his or her account.
- Pay Upon Identification: If your recipient doesn't have a bank account, we can transfer the funds to an international bank branch at an address you specify. The bank will release the funds to your recipient with proof of identity (such as a government-issued photo ID). Please ask the recipient to confirm with their bank if this payment method is available before sending the funds. In addition, it's a good idea to have the recipient also check with their bank what type of identification is needed.
10. Do I have to send money during banking hours in my recipient’s country?
No. You can send money any time of the day or night, regardless of what time it's in your recipient’s country.
11. Will the money I send using International Money Transfer arrive safely?
Yes, money you send using this service will arrive safely, provided that you have correctly entered the sending instructions.
12. Are transactions covered under the RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee?
Yes, your transactions are completely covered by the RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee(2). We'll fully reimburse any unauthorized transactions made in RBC Royal Bank Online Banking.
13. In what currency will my recipient receive the funds?
Typically, your recipient will receive the funds in the currency you specify. However, some countries may convert the funds into local currency (conversion fees may apply).
14. Does the fee change based on the amount of money I send?
No. $13.50 is the flat fee per transaction(4).
15. Is the fee competitive compared to other services?
Depending on the amount you're sending, our fee can be up to 3 times lower than other online services. For example, the cost to send $2,500 CAD from Canada to China using Scotiabank or Bank of Montreal (BMO) Western Union online transfers would be $52.00 CAD.
16. I send money to one recipient regularly. Will I have to re-enter the same information every time?
No. You can choose to save your recipient’s information in Online Banking.
17. Where can I get help with this service?
For assistance submitting your payment online, call us at 1-800-769-2555. We’re here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For information on what BIC to use, please contact SWIFT; for information on ABAs contact FEDwire.
For information on IBANs please contact your recipient.
1) Cannot remit funds from any US dollar account or the RBC High Interest eSavings account.
2) For a definition of an unauthorized transaction and for full details regarding the protections and limitations of the RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee, please see your Electronic Access Agreement . This guarantee is given by Royal Bank of Canada in connection with its Online Banking service.
3) RBC Online Banking is provided by Royal Bank of Canada.
4) Additional service fees by any intermediary and receiving bank may apply. Maximum of $2,500 Canadian dollars per day.
5) If this service is not available to you, please call 1-800-769-2555.