GICs are secure investments that guarantee to preserve your principal. Your investment earns interest, at either a fixed or a variable rate, or based on a pre-determined formula. GICs often form the foundation of a well-balanced portfolio.
- Security and safety—both your original investment and interest payments are guaranteed(2)
- Competitive interest rates—guaranteed for the full term of the investment
- Flexible investment terms—ranging from one day to five years, and seven years and ten years
- Choice of interest payment frequencies e.g. monthly, annually
- Eligible for registered investment plans
Three Types for Greater Flexibility
- Guaranteed-return GICs guarantee that your money will grow as expected
- Interest rate-linked GICs make it easy to benefit from any increase in interest rates without having to adjust your investments
- RBC MarketSmart™ GICs offer you the growth potential of equity markets by linking to one or more indices. Your principal is guaranteed, while return(3) is variable and will depend on the performance of the underlying investment. Some of these GICs offer a guaranteed minimum rate of return.
1) Benefits listed are not applicable for all types of GICs.
2) The level of return on the RBC MarketSmart™ GICs is not guaranteed although several of these GICs offer a guaranteed minimum return feature.
3) These GICs do not pay you regular interest income or provide a guaranteed rate of return. It is possible that there may be no return. For full product details, including how the variable return is calculated, please refer to the relevant GIC listed on this page, visit your nearest RBC branch or call 1-800-769-2511.