Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the advantages of having a credit card? How can I get one?
- What are some of the travel benefits that credit cards provide?
- How do I receive my RBC Royal Bank credit card statement online?
- When is my payment due?
- What is the minimum payment?
- How do I make a payment on my card?
- How do I dispute a charge on my statement?
- Is there a number I can call if I have questions about my account?
- What is the credit limit?
- How is my credit limit determined and how can I increase the limit?
- What happens if I try to make a purchase with my credit card and exceed my credit limit?
- What is a grace period?
- Are there any annual fees associated with having an RBC Royal Bank credit card?
- How do I redeem points, miles, or dollars on my account?
- What are some of the features and benefits of my card?
- How many corporate cards can a business have?
- What are Balance Transfer cheques?
- I already have a department store card and a gasoline card. Do I still need an RBC Royal Bank credit card?
- I’ve just started working and I don't have a credit history, can I still apply for a credit card?
- Is it safe to give out my credit card number when purchasing goods or services by phone or online?
- What should I do if my RBC Royal Bank credit card is lost or stolen?
- Do all credit cards offer emergency card replacement?
- Why does RBC offer both Visa and Mastercard credit card products?
1. What are the advantages of having a credit card? How can I get one?
Credit Cards are virtually essential today-in making hotel reservations, renting a car, or simply establishing a strong credit history. A Credit Card is a flexible and convenient payment and borrowing tool that gives you the freedom to manage your finances and the security necessary to respond to unexpected emergencies. Apply online now or use the RBC Royal Bank Credit Card Selector to choose the card that's right for you. Or call 1-800-769-2511 and one of our representatives will help you.
2. What are some of the travel benefits that credit cards provide?
Aside from the extensive travel insurance coverages provided by many cards-like optional Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country Emergency Medical Insurance coverage-some cards reward you with points that can be exchanged for a wide variety of travel experiences on a host of the world's best airlines, including Air Canada. Use the RBC Royal Bank Credit Card Selector to choose the card that meets your travel needs. Or call 1-800-769-2512 and one of our representatives will help you.
3. How do I receive my RBC Royal Bank credit card statement online?
From the Banking tab:
Go to your Account Details
- Select “Change Statement Options”
- Select “Change” next to the accounts listed on the Statement Options page
- Follow the Statement Option prompts
You will receive a confirmation once your request is complete.
When you enroll for RBC Royal Bank credit card eStatements, you may receive one last paper statement in the mail, depending on your billing cycle. You can choose to switch back to paper statements at any time.Learn more about electronic statements
4. When is my payment due?
Payment due dates vary for each RBC Royal Bank credit card. Your due date will appear on your credit card statement. To verify your due date, call 1-800-769-2512 or Compare Credit Cards to find out more.
5. What is the minimum payment?
The minimum payment amount will appear on your monthly credit card statement in the box marked "Minimum Payment". It will normally be $10 plus the Interest and the Fees, as shown on the Calculating Your Balance section of your statement. If your New Balance is less than $10 or less than the calculated Minimum Payment, you must pay the New Balance. This minimum payment may also include any past due amounts and any portion of the total new balance owing that is more than your credit limit. The minimum payments required vary for each RBC Royal Bank credit card and depend on other factors such as your personal credit limit. If you choose not to pay the full balance owing on your RBC Royal Bank credit card, you must pay at least the minimum payment due each month to maintain a good credit rating. Learn more about minimum payment.
6. How do I make a payment on my card?
You can make payments on your RBC Royal Bank credit card at any time. RBC Royal Bank offers a range of methods to suit your personal financial style, such as convenient online banking over the Internet, or automated banking designed so you'll never need to worry about making your payment on time. In addition, you can pay over the telephone, by mail, in person at one of our branches, or at a conveniently-located RBC Royal Bank ATM. Find out more about the different ways to pay.
7. How do I dispute a charge on my statement?
If you suspect that your RBC Royal Bank credit card is being used without your knowledge or consent, please call Customer Service immediately at 1-800-769-2512 and a representative will help you.
8. Is there a number I can call if I have questions about my account?
Yes, you can call Customer Service at 1-800-769-2512 and a representative will help you.
9. What is the credit limit?
This is the maximum amount of credit you have on your RBC Royal Bank credit card. It will appear on your monthly RBC Royal Bank credit card statement.
10. How is my credit limit determined and how can I increase the limit?
Your credit limit is determined based on your credit history and your income. If you would like to request a higher limit, contact our Credit Department at 1-800-769-2512 and a representative will be pleased to review your account with you.
11. What happens if I try to make a purchase with my credit card and exceed my credit limit?
If you attempt to make a purchase that exceeds your credit limit, your purchase MAY be declined. If a purchase is approved, by allowing you to exceed your credit limit, you will be charged a $29.00 overlimit fee. To discuss an increase to your credit limit, call our Credit Department at 1-800-769-2512.
12. What is a grace period?
The grace period is the number of days between the date your monthly statement is issued and the date your payment is due. You have a minimum 21 day interest-free grace period for new purchases. You can avoid interest on those new purchases by paying your balance in full on or before the payment due date.
13. Are there any annual fees associated with having an RBC Royal Bank credit card?
While all RBC Royal Bank credit cards offer superior benefits, some cards have annual fees-a once yearly charge for ownership- while others do not have an annual fee. A fee is primarily dependent upon the associated level of benefits, rewards, extended warranties and money-saving insurance coverages associated with each card. Let us help you determine the RBC Royal Bank credit card that's just right for you. Simply use our Card Selector or compare cards for more information.
14. How do I redeem points, miles, or dollars on my account?
Choosing from a wide selection of exciting merchandise offers, travel rewards and partner discounts is just one of the benefits of carrying an RBC Royal Bank credit card. Ensuring that your rewards are as easy to redeem as they are to earn, is just one of the ways that we thank you for your business. You can call our Customer Service at 1-800-769-2512 and a representative will help you. See some of the rewards available through RBC Rewards.
15. What are some of the features and benefits of my card?
The features and benefits of each RBC Royal Bank credit card are rich and diverse.
You can choose a card that gives you the credit limit you need with access to industry-leading rewards programs, the freedom and flexibility to earn points for travel on most airlines and instant savings and discounts.
While all RBC Royal Bank credit card cardholders enjoy Purchase Security and Extended Warranty Insurance, you can also benefit from additional insurance protection like Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country Emergency Medical Insurance coverage, and more, for money-saving peace of mind.
Your card can provide you with access to a host of travel opportunities-including flights on most of the world's major airlines, exciting merchandise rewards, and savings at some of the country's best retailers. For more information, try our Credit Card Comparison Tool.
16. How many corporate credit cards can a business have?
An RBC Royal Bank credit card can form part of any business's financial success strategy, letting you take control of your cash flow and expense management. A business can have up to 20 RBC Royal Bank corporate credit cards. For more information on how an RBC Royal Bank credit card can help you increase your business purchasing power.
17. What are Balance Transfer cheques?
If you have more than one credit card, Balance Transfer cheques can help you consolidate your debts by allowing you to transfer the outstanding balance from one card-like a higher interest card from a department store or service station-to a lower interest rate RBC Royal Bank credit card.
18. I already have a department store card and a gasoline card. Do I still need an RBC Royal Bank credit card?
Yes. RBC Royal Bank credit cards provide you with many benefits that a gas or department store simply cannot offer, at much lower interest rates.
RBC Royal Bank's wide selection of cards allows you to choose the RBC Royal Bank credit card that will best suit your lifestyle and financial needs. With the Purchase Security Insurance that RBC Royal Bank credit cards afford , along with its global reach, whether you're looking to collect points to redeem on travel and merchandise, or need medical and travel insurances, RBC Royal Bank has a credit card for you.
Our interest rates are also competitive with other bank credit cards and offer much lower interest rates than gas and retail credit cards.
For full details about RBC Royal Bank's credit card interest rates and other features, please use our comparison tool.
19. I've just started working and I don't have a credit history, can I still apply for a credit card?
Of course! Developing a positive credit history through the responsible use of a credit card is an asset, not only when you apply for a credit card, but also when you apply for a job, insurance coverage, or car or home financing. When applying, you may be required to provide information regarding your employment and income.
20. Is it safe to give out my credit card number when purchasing goods or services by phone or online?
While most retailers are scrupulous, it is wise to proceed with caution when making purchases over the telephone or on the Internet. Remember to follow a few simple rules to minimize risk:
- Never give your credit card number over the phone, unless you have initiated the call.
- When purchasing online, do so only from recognized retailers and only when the site is equipped with security features. Look for SSL (Secure Socket Layer) or SET (Secure Electronic Transactions) when you go to make a purchase. (Look to see that the site URL begins with HTTPS and not HTTP. This indicates that the area is protected by SSL or SST protocols.)
- A key or lock symbol will appear at the bottom of your screen when you're making a purchase from a secure Internet site. If the lock or key is broken, this indicates that the site is not secure.
21. What should I do if my RBC Royal Bank credit card is lost or stolen?
Call our 24-hour toll-free number 1-800-769-2512 immediately if your RBC Royal Bank credit card is lost or stolen. Once you have informed us of the loss, we will be able to block the card from future use and issue a new card to you. For additional security and peace of mind, consider the Card Registry service (complimentary with some cards) provided by RBC Royal Bank .
22. Do all credit cards offer emergency card replacement?
Yes. View the list of the RBC Royal Bank credit cards that offer emergency replacement.
23. Why does RBC offer both Visa and Mastercard credit card products?
As a leading Canadian financial institution, we strive to always put our clients first. The decision to offer both Visa and Mastercard credit card products has come out of our desire to offer clients more choice and value through products with features and benefits that best suit their needs. Compare Credit Cards or use our handy Credit Card Selector tool to find out more.