Attention: Trip Cancellation/ Trip Interruption Update
Last Updated: March 21, 2020
On Friday, March 13, 2020, Global Affairs Canada issued a travel advisory stating that Canadians should “Avoid all non-essential travel” applicable to all countries outside of Canada in order to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Refer to Global Affairs website for more information: https://travel.gc.ca/
In accordance with the latest travel advisories, we are also not recommending that clients book new travel at this time, unless it is to arrange for return travel home.
Trip Cancellation/Interruption claims related to COVID-19 will not be payable if the policy was purchased or the trip was booked/paid on an RBC Credit Card, on or after March 13, 2020 at 5:30PM (EST).
Emergency Medical Insurance claims related to COVID-19 will not be payable if you travel anywhere outside of Canada effective March 13, 2020 at 5:30pm (EST).
If you have booked prior to March 13, 2020 at 5:30pm (EST) you may be eligible to submit a Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption claim.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Do I have Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance included with my RBC credit card?
The following RBC Credit Cards include Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance as part of their embedded insurance package:
- RBC Avion Visa Infinite
- RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege for Private Banking
- RBC Avion Visa Infinite Visa Privilege
- RBC Avion Visa Platinum
- RBC Rewards Visa Preferred
- RBC U.S. Dollar Visa Gold
- WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard (Trip Interruption Insurance only)
Business and Commercial Cards
- RBC Avion Visa Infinite Business
- RBC Avion Visa Business
- RBC Commercial Avion
Please refer to RBC Insurance at rbcinsurance.com/travel/covid-19 for further information on eligibility and claims process.
2) What other insurance coverages do I have with my RBC credit card?
For information regarding Emergency Medical Insurance, Flight Delay Insurance and any other insurance coverages, please refer to your credit card’s Insurance Certificate.
3) I booked my trip by redeeming (or partially redeeming) RBC Rewards Points. What do I do?
If you booked travel with RBC Rewards, please refer to RBC Rewards to understand your options.
4) I purchased RBC Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption insurance when I booked my trip. What do I do?
Please review your Insurance Certificate that was provided when you purchased your travel insurance and refer to RBC at rbcinsurance.com/travel/covid-19 for further information on eligibility and claims process
Note: All insurance providers, including RBC Insurance, are experiencing high-call volumes and therefore you may experience longer wait times due to this global situation.
As this situation continues to evolve, we remain committed to supporting you and keeping you informed on COVID-19. Please visit RBC.com as updates continue to get shared and updated through this central location.
The health and well-being of our clients and our employees is of the utmost importance to us at RBC. We appreciate your patience as we work to support you through this time. Thank you for choosing RBC.
5) I booked my trip by redeeming (or partially redeeming) WestJet dollars and/or my companion voucher. What do I do?
If you have used WestJet dollars or your companion voucher for your trip, please visit WestJet for more information on how to change or cancel your travel.