Branch Safety and Account Opening Options
For the health and safety of our communities and employees, we have introduced new safety protocols in some branches and temporarily closed others.
To address the challenges facing international students, we are happy to schedule an appointment to open a bank account by phone, video conference or in branch.
Get More Perks for Less, Only at RBC
Pay for those little extras. Bank with RBC and get unlimited debit transactions in Canada. Plus, you could get approved for a credit card with no credit history required4Disclaimer.
Get no-monthly-fee banking2Disclaimer
Enjoy unlimited debit transactions in Canada with an RBC Advantage Banking account for students. Sign up for the Value Program to earn Avion points when you pay from your account3Disclaimer
No Canadian credit history required
Bank anywhere, anytime with mobile solutions
Stay on top of your money 24/7. The RBC Mobile Student Edition of the RBC Mobile6Disclaimer app makes banking easy.
Account Features and Benefits
Add a Credit Card—No Credit History Required5Disclaimer
Ask about our other credit cards when you talk to an RBC Advisor
- Get a credit limit of up to $2,0004Disclaimer
- No credit history required for RBC personal banking clients5Disclaimer. Higher credit limits are subject to higher income and asset requirements.
- No annual fee
- Get 10% bonus cash back for the first 3 months (up to a maximum spend of $2,000) with a new RBC Cash Back Mastercard† Disclaimer. That’s up to 12% Cash back on grocery store purchases for the first three months and up to 11% on all other purchases for the first three months† Disclaimer. Offer ends March 31, 2024.
- Annual Fee: $0
- Additional Card: $0
- Purchase Rate: 20.99%
- Cash Advance Rate: 22.99% (21.99% if you reside in Quebec)
- Cash Advance: $5.00 in and outside of Canada
- Balance Transfer Promotional Rate Fee: Up to 3% of transaction amount
- Dishonoured Payment Fee: $45.00
- Overlimit Fee: $29.00 (fee does not apply if you reside in Quebec)
- Additional Copies: $5.00 for Monthly Statement, $1.50 for Statement Updates at the ATM, $2.00 for Transaction Receipts
- Installment Plan Fee: If applicable, either a (i) one-time fee of up to 3% of total purchase amount, or (ii) monthly fee of up to 1.15% of total purchase amount (fee does not apply if you reside in Quebec)
Easy and convenient to earn cash back even after the offer period.
- Up to 2% cash back on grocery store purchases26Disclaimer
- Up to 1% cash back on all other qualifying purchases and pre-authorized payments26Disclaimer
No limit to what you can get back
That’s right – get unlimited cashback27Disclaimer. Plus, your cash back credits accumulate automatically so you don’t need to keep track.
Save and earn faster with offers
Load personalized offers from great brands before you shop to get cash savings or to earn bonus Avion points faster28Disclaimer.
Open Your RBC Student Account Today
Start opening your account online, through the mobile app, over the phone, by video call or at a branch. Be sure to have your passport and study permit handy for your appointment.Open Bank Account
Two Ways To Apply30
Sign Up with Mobile
Opening up an RBC account in the RBC Mobile6 app is fast, simple, and secure! It typically takes about 12 minutes.
- You must have:
- A valid passport or Canadian driver's license from AB, BC, MB, NB, NS, ON, QC or SK
- A Canadian address
- Be ready to take a selfie to verify against your passport or driver’s license
Download the RBC Mobile app
Get the RBC Mobile App
to get started.
Sign Up Online
Opening up an RBC account online is easy and secure. It typically takes about 12 minutes.
This is the best option for:
- Students who have minimum 3 year credit history
- You must be the age of majority in the province or territory you live in
- You must have:
- A minimum of 3 years of credit history
- A Canadian address you have been living in for the last 6 months
Other Ways to Apply
You must apply for the RBC Cash Back Mastercard by March 31, 2024, at an RBC Royal Bank branch, and be approved by us. You will earn an additional $10.00 back for every $100.00 (10% Cash Back Credit) in Net Purchases (including pre-authorized bill payments) charged on your RBC Cash Back Mastercard account within the first 3 months of account opening, up to a maximum total combined spend of $2,000 (“Welcome Bonus”). Thereafter, the standard Cash Back Credit earn rates of up to 2% on Grocery Store Purchases and up to 1% on other Net Purchases (that are not Grocery Store Purchases) apply. The Welcome Bonus is in addition to the standard Cash Back Credit earn rates. Cash Back Credits are not earned on cash advances (including balance transfers, cash-like transactions and bill payments that are not pre-authorized charges that you set up with a merchant), interest charges or fees, and credits for returns and adjustments will reduce or cancel the cash back credits earned by the amounts originally charged. The Welcome Bonus will appear on your next monthly statement after it was earned, and will be credited as set out in disclosure 26 (below). For complete details on the RBC Cash Back Program including standard earn rates and crediting of Cash Back Rewards, please refer to the RBC Cash Back Program Terms and Conditions at www.rbc.com/cashbackterms(opens in new window). Offer applies to new RBC Cash Back Mastercard accounts only.
One offer per eligible account. Existing cardholders of any RBC personal credit card, applying for or transferring to an RBC Cash Back Mastercard card, are not eligible for this offer. This offer may not be combined or used in conjunction with any other offer except as otherwise set out. Royal Bank of Canada reserves the right to modify, cancel or withdraw this offer at any time. This offer may be revoked at any time if we suspect you may be manipulating or abusing it, or engaging in any suspicious or fraudulent activity, as determined by Royal Bank of Canada in its sole discretion.
To be considered a full-time student, you must attend a primary or secondary school OR be enrolled in a program at the post-secondary level at a college, university or other educational institution (whether in Canada or not). If you are a post-secondary student, you must take at least 60% of the usual course load for the program in which you are enrolled in any particular semester. You must advise us of your student status at the time of account opening and must advise of any changes to your student status thereafter. Proof of enrollment may be requested at our discretion. Students who are 25 years of age and older must provide proof of enrollment.