St. Kitts was discovered
by Christopher Columbus in 1493, and together with the islands of Nevis and Anguilla,
constituted the Colony of St. Christopher, Nevis and Anguilla. Anguilla has since
separated. Near the most northerly part of the Leeward Islands, St. Kitts was
first settled in 1623 by a British group intent on farming, and for many years
was a source of contention between the British, French, Spanish and native Caribs.
Today, sugar cane, cotton and catering to tourists are the main occupations.
RBC Royal Bank of Canada opened for business in St. Kitts on March 23, 1915, in
rented premises on the Bay Road. In 1920, the bank bought a piece of property
50 yards away to construct its own branch. The tall, colonial-style structure
took three years to build and has become an island landmark. The bank is an integral
part of island life in St. Kitts and plays a strong community role. As part of
its 75th Anniversary celebrations in 1990, the bank presented the Government with
a bus for transporting handicapped children to a local school, which the bank
helped to equip for these special children.
RBC Royal Bank of Canada operates
two branches and two RoyalTouch Automated Banking
Machines in St. Kitts.