If you believe a payment is outstanding or your customer advises you that a transaction has not been processed:
- Check your files to be sure that the particulars were submitted and included on bank reports
- Only payments that have a status of Completed at the bank can be traced
- Check your Returned Items Reports to confirm that the payment was not already returned
- Check your Payment Activity Reports to confirm that the payment was not deleted or reversed
- Inquire on the status of the payment using RBC Express ACH Payment Manager
- To initiate a Trace Request that was processed within the last 120 days, use RBC Express ACH Payment Manager
- If you do not have access to RBC Express ACH Payment Manager or the payment due date is more than 120 days, complete the Trace Payment Request form and fax it to the number at the top of the form.
RBC Royal Bank will trace the payment and advise you as soon as a reply is received from your customer’s bank. Only items greater than $20.00 will be traced.
Response times may vary; however Royal Bank is committed to providing results on a best-effort basis. Check with your Cash Management Client Support Centre for the time applicable to you.
Traces on Payments to RBC Royal Bank Units
We will respond within 24 hours of receipt of the required information for local (within province) Royal Bank units. For out-of province Royal Bank units, we will respond within 48 hours.
Traces on Payments to Other Financial Institutions in Canada and the United States
We will deliver the trace request to the financial institution within 1 hour of receiving your request. We will follow up on your behalf until disposition of the payment is advised. Trace responses will be faxed to you.