Pre-authorized payments are arrangements you make with a creditor or merchant to automatically withdraw funds from your account on a regular basis.
There are two ways to stop a pre-authorized payment you set up with a merchant.
Contact the Merchant
To cancel an entire series of pre-authorized payments, you have to talk to the merchant. To cancel one payment from the series, you can talk to the merchant or submit a stop payment request online.
Submit a Stop Payment Request
- Sign into Online Banking
- Select the bank account you used to set up the pre-authorized payment and review your transactions to see if the payment has been processed
- Once you've confirmed that the payment hasn't left your account, follow these instructions:
- Personal clients: go to the Transfers and Payments section and select Stop a Cheque or Pre-Authorized Payment
- Business clients: go to the left-hand navigation and select Stop a Cheque or Pre-Authorized Payment
- Review the instructions carefully and then select Start Request if you're ready to proceed
Please note that submitting a request costs $12.50 and does not guarantee that we will be able to stop your payment.
You also can't use a stop payment request for pre-authorized charges to your credit card. If you have questions about pre-authorized charges, you should contact the merchant.
Watch How to Stop a Payment in Online Banking