Your Step-By-Step Guide to Buying a Home
How much can I afford?
Before you even start looking for a home, you need to know exactly how much home you can afford.
- Use our Affordability Calculator to see how much mortgage you could afford.
- Read more about how much you can afford.
- Learn about budgeting for home ownership.
- Understanding mortgages
Owning a home is a big decision and getting off to a good start can make all the difference.
- Use the RBC True House Affordability tool to get pre-qualified for a mortgage.
- Get tips on saving for a down payment
- Learn about tax benefits for first time home buyers
- More resources about planning for home ownership.
Searching for a home
The process of searching for the perfect home can be both exciting and challenging. Creating a list of items and separating them into two buckets - “must-have” and “nice-to-have”- is a good place to start.
- Use our Neighbourhood Explorer to narrow down your search.
- Additional resources to help you search for a home.
Buying a home
Get help with making an offer, paying for closing costs and choosing a mortgage that suits your unique needs.
- As you begin the negotiating process, keep these things in mind when making an offer to purchase.
- Coordinate the necessary people and documentation to prepare for closing day.
- Additional resources to help with your purchase.
Moving in and Living
Transition into home ownership comfortably with helpful advice on mortgage management and home maintenance.
- Protect your family’s lifestyle with HomeProtector Insurance.
- Use this checklist to ensure a seamless move.
- Additional resources to help you settle in.
First-time Home Buyers
Help Me Find a Home
Learn about the real estate process, what to look for in a neighbourhood and setting a budget before house hunting.Learn More about how we can help you find a home.
Understanding the Home Buying Process
Get help with making an offer, paying for closing costs and choosing a mortgage that suits your unique needs.Learn More about Understanding the Home Buying Process
Welcome to Home Ownership
Transition into home ownership comfortably with helpful advice for living comfortably in your home.Learn More about Welcome to Home Ownership
How Much Home Can You Afford?
How much home can you afford?
This calculator factors in your total earnings and debts to give you a maximum affordable monthly housing cost, including mortgage payment, property taxes, heating costs and more.
We've completed your calculations using a % down payment ()
How much can I comfortably spend on my home purchase?
Your mortgage amount would be $, and includes default insurance of
TIP: Don't forget to set aside approximately 3%, or for closing costs.
My monthly RBC mortgage payment will be...
† The mortgage amount is based on the qualifying rate of
* The payment amount is calculated based on an interest rate of %.
The calculation is based on the accuracy and completeness of the data you have entered, is for illustrative and general information purposes only, and is not intended to provide specific financial or other advice, and should not be relied upon in that regard.
New to Canada?
Learn about common myths and other essential mortgage information for newcomers to Canada.
Home buying questions
Get answers to the top questions every first time home buyer should ask.
View our Rates
2 year fixed closed
5 year fixed closed
Personal lending products and residential mortgages are offered by Royal Bank of Canada and are subject to its standard lending criteria. Some conditions apply.
Help Us Find Your Rate
Please tell us about your mortgage plans