Benefits of a GIC1
At RBC Royal Bank, you have a broad choice of GICs, making it easy to find one that fits your goals.
Safe and Secure
Invest with peace of mind knowing that your original investment is guaranteed.
Flexible Terms and Payment Options
Choose from a variety of investment terms and interest payment frequencies that suits your needs.
Enjoy competitive rates that are guaranteed for the full term of your investment.
Get personalized advice with MyAdvisor
A digital service that lets you see the potential of your investments, including your GICs, and can connect you with an RBC advisor to help build your financial future.
Choose from Three GIC Families
Your interest rate is guaranteed, so you don’t need to worry about changes in the markets or the economy.
- Both principal and interest payments are guaranteed
- A great variety of product features, terms and interest payment options are available
- Escalating rate options available
Explore Guaranteed-Return GICs
Interest Rate-Linked GICs
Offer a variable interest rate that is linked to changes in the Royal Bank Prime rate.
- Principal is 100% guaranteed
- If Prime rate increases, your investment earns a higher interest rate
- If Prime rate decreases, you can cash out your investment and reinvest in another product
RBC Equity-Linked GICs
Enjoy the security of a GIC and the higher return potential that comes with an equity investment.
- Your investment is positioned for growth
- Principal is 100% protected
- Choose between a guaranteed minimum return and unlimited upside potential
Explore RBC Equity-Linked GICs
GIC Tools & Calculators
Find the right GIC for you in 4 easy steps. To get started, simply select the main goal you want to achieve.
Explore top GIC questions.
GICs are one of the safest ways to protect and grow your money. Whether you’re looking for:
- Cashable solutions that provide access to funds at any time
- Short or longer term options
- Guaranteed returns for most GICs* so you don’t have to worry about changes in the markets or the economy
- Currency options so you can protect your Canadian or US dollar savings
Explore our GIC solutions.
* excludes Canadian Market Linked GICs. For Canadian Market linked GICs principal is guaranteed, interest is based on specific market returns
You can buy GICs:
- Through RBC Online Banking if you have an RBC Royal Bank chequing or savings account, or an existing GIC.
- Or if you have questions, we encourage you to use our online booking tool to schedule a time to speak with us by phone.
We have a broad range of GICs that can fit any goal. You can use our handy Investments - GIC to help you determine the best solution for you. You can also work with an RBC advisor to help you choose the right investment that best fits your objectives.
Ready to Invest?
Buy a GIC for your registered account or on its own.
View Legal DisclaimersHide Legal Disclaimers
Base Level from the date of purchase (as indicated on your GIC certificate)
Participation Factor or minimum and maximum rates (as indicated on your GIC certificate)
Latest applicable index value or basket of stocks.
Funds will be available on the next business day following the date on which you have instructed us to redeem your GIC, or in the case of RBC Income Builder GIC, following the date on which a payment is made from the GIC.
Interest in a GIC will be calculated counting the first but not the last day of the term.
There is no fee charged for a purchase of GIC. If you transfer your GIC out to another financial institution, there will be a transfer out fee of $150 charged (applies to both registered or non-registered GICs – transfer out fee for non-registered GICs came into effect August 1, 2022)
You may provide us with instructions as to what to do with your GIC proceeds upon maturity. If your GIC is automatically renewed, you may cancel it upon renewal within 10 business days from the issuance (renewal) date, and if you do, your principal will be returned, but no interest will apply from the issuance to the cancellation date.
The GIC Client Agreement can be found at https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/dms/investments/clientacknowledgementforms.html. This GIC Client Agreement may be changed at any time, on notice to GIC holders.