Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs)
You can buy GICs:
- Through RBC Online Banking if you have an RBC Royal Bank chequing or savings account, or an existing GIC.
- Call us at 1-800-463-3863. We'll be happy to discuss your goals and help you choose the type of investments that best suit your objectives.
- Visit your branch. We recommend booking an appointment ahead of time by calling us at 1-800-769-2511.
GICs are one of the safest ways to protect and grow your money. Whether you’re looking for:
- Cashable solutions that provide access to funds at any time
- Short or longer term options
- Guaranteed returns for most GICs* so you don’t have to worry about changes in the markets or the economy
- Currency options so you can protect your Canadian or US dollar savings
- Explore our GIC solutions.
* excludes Canadian & Global Market Linked GICs. For Canadian & Global Market linked GICs principal is guaranteed, interest is based on specific market returns
Managing Your Investments Online
You can purchase a GIC through RBC Online Banking if you have an RBC Royal Bank chequing or savings account or an existing GIC.
The following GICs can be purchased through online banking:
- Non-Redeemable GIC*
- One-Year Cashable GIC**
- U.S. Dollar Term Deposits**
- Prime-Linked Cashable GIC**
- Five-In-One GIC**
- RateAdvantage GIC**
- Redeemable GIC*
* (available in both Non-Registered or Registered)
**(eligible for Non-registered only)
You can update your GIC maturity instructions through RBC Online Banking if your GIC is held within a RRSP or TFSA. (Note: you can't update your maturity instructions if you've already indicated that you want your GIC to renew into a different GIC type)
Mutual Funds are sold by Royal Mutual Funds Inc. (RMFI). There may be commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses associated with mutual fund investments. Please read the Fund Facts/prospectus before investing. Mutual fund securities are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation. For funds other than money market funds, unit values change frequently. For money market funds, there can be no assurances that a fund will be able to maintain its net asset value per security at a constant amount or that the full amount of your investment in a fund will be returned to you. Past performance may not be repeated. RMFI is licensed as a financial services firm in the province of Quebec.
Financial planning services and investment advice are provided by Royal Mutual Funds Inc. (RMFI). RMFI, RBC Global Asset Management Inc., Royal Bank of Canada, Royal Trust Corporation of Canada and The Royal Trust Company are separate corporate entities which are affiliated. RMFI is licensed as a financial services firm in the province of Quebec.