Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs)
GICs are one of the safest ways to protect and grow your money. Whether you’re looking for:
- Cashable solutions that provide access to funds at any time1
- Short or longer term options
- Guaranteed returns for most GICs* so you don’t have to worry about changes in the markets or the economy
- Currency options so you can protect your Canadian or US dollar savings
- Explore our GIC solutions.
* excludes Canadian Market Linked GICs. For Canadian Market linked GICs principal is guaranteed, interest is based on specific market returns
Managing Your Investments Online
You can update your GIC maturity instructions through RBC Online Banking if your GIC is held within a RRSP or TFSA. (Note: you can't update your maturity instructions if you've already indicated that you want your GIC to renew into a different GIC type)
Other Notable Disclosures:
- Interest in a GIC will be calculated counting the first but not the last day of the term.
- There is no fee charged for a purchase of GIC. If you transfer your GIC out to another financial institution, there will be a transfer out fee of $150 charged (applies to both registered or non-registered GICs – transfer out fee for non-registered GICs came into effect August 1, 2022)
- You may provide us with instructions as to what to do with your GIC proceeds upon maturity. If your GIC is automatically renewed, you may cancel it upon renewal within 10 business days from the issuance (renewal) date, and if you do, your principal will be returned, but no interest will apply from the issuance to the cancellation date.
- The GIC Client Agreement can be found at https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/dms/investments/clientacknowledgementforms.html. This GIC Client Agreement may be changed at any time, on notice to GIC holders.
- For more information and disclosures regarding RBC Equity Linked GICs, see: RBC Equity-Linked GICs page.
Mutual Funds are sold by Royal Mutual Funds Inc. (RMFI). There may be commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses associated with mutual fund investments. Please read the Fund Facts/prospectus before investing. Mutual fund securities are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation. For funds other than money market funds, unit values change frequently. For money market funds, there can be no assurances that a fund will be able to maintain its net asset value per security at a constant amount or that the full amount of your investment in a fund will be returned to you. Past performance may not be repeated. RMFI is licensed as a financial services firm in the province of Quebec.
Financial planning services and investment advice are provided by Royal Mutual Funds Inc. (RMFI). RMFI, RBC Global Asset Management Inc., Royal Bank of Canada, Royal Trust Corporation of Canada and The Royal Trust Company are separate corporate entities which are affiliated. RMFI is licensed as a financial services firm in the province of Quebec.
Thank you for signing up.
We will notify you by email as soon as the FHSA becomes available at RBC.
Oops! An Error has Occurred
Please try again later.