What is Overdraft Protection?
Overdraft protection is a way to be prepared for the unexpected such as when a cheque deposit takes a little longer than you anticipated to clear. Or an authorized payment is due before you have the funds to cover it. For these reasons and more, RBC Royal Bank offers you the peace-of-mind of overdraft protection.
- Stay covered for authorized payments
- Enjoy the security of knowing you won’t be declined at store checkout
- Prevent against a bad credit rating
- Stop cheques from bouncing and being returned to you
Automatic, Easy Protection
Subject to credit approval, overdraft protection provides between $500 and $5,000 of protection for most bank accounts, and up to $10,000 of protection for those who have an RBC VIP Banking account.
Your overdraft protection comes into effect automatically – up to your limit, whenever your account is overdrawn.
Repaying it is easy too. As soon as you make a deposit1 to your account, it will automatically be applied against your overdrawn balance.View Overdraft Protection Fees
Frequently Asked Questions
You can view how much overdraft protection you currently have through RBC Online banking. Just click on your account and view Authorized Overdraft at the top of your account details page.
You can apply for or increase overdraft protection using RBC Online Banking. To get started:
- Sign in and select the account you want overdraft protection applied to.
- Click Apply or Increase Overdraft for this Account at the bottom of the page.
- Follow the on-screen instruction.
You can also add, increase, decrease, or remove overdraft protection at a branch or by giving us a call at 1-800-769-2511 1-800-769-2511